Stevens Point Wisconsin History
Just over 140 years ago, Stevens Point was a small town on the shores of Lake Superior, north of Milwaukee. The first land entry took place in 1846, and in 1847 the town became an established town, and by 1850 the logging community had 200 inhabitants. Welcome to Stevens Point, Wisconsin, one of the oldest cities in the USA and the second largest in Wisconsin.
Besides the timber industry, much of the area owes its development to a railroad that connected central Wisconsin with the rest of the country. The history of the railroad romance rivalled the historic Union Pacific buildings in the West. Major employers in Stevens Point today include the Associated Steel Company, Copp Corporation and the Wisconsin State Fair. These industries, combined with other industries such as agriculture, mining, forestry, manufacturing, tourism and tourism, give Stevens Point the most diversified economy of any state in Wisconsin.
From its founding in 1895 to its merger with the Gazette in 1919 and move to Third Street, the site was home to the Stevens Point Journal. A historic memorial stone to Stevens Point founder George Stevens has been erected on the site of a former newspaper building in the early 20th century.
Originally, the town square was the place where professional craftsmen, businessmen and loggers met, who came on their journey north and south across the river to bring income to the area. Stevens Point's first mall opened in 1984 and was located in the small town south of Stevens Point. The 220,000 square foot shopping center has been a huge success and is located on the site of a former train station on Third Street, north of Third Avenue.
In the early 1850s, the direct road to Jordan, called aJerdana by early settlers, was developed by the earliest settlers. In his book, Rosholt recounts how Hull annexed part of the city 25, Range 7, east of the Wisconsin River, which was formerly part of the city of Stevens Point. In the new town of Dewey, the same movement separated it from the city of 25 and row 8, which were located in this part and from which the old town, aDewey, arose. Hull was compensated for this in 1853 by the annexation of the city and area 7 west of Stevens Point, to which it had been evacuated.
This happened after the incorporation of Stevens Point in 1858, which left three sections east of Stevens Point. Hull was annexed to the city in November 1860 and took over, but during the clean-up it was forgotten that information about Stockton's early years had been stored in the Wisconsin State Archive at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
More than 1,000 folders contain newspaper clippings and other cursory information about the history of Stevens Point and the city of Stockton from its foundation in 1858 until the end of the Civil War. This includes a collection of photos, newspapers, maps and documents from the early years of city life. It contains information about the first city council, the city government, the police, the fire brigade, the school system, schools, hospitals, churches and much more.
The cemetery is open to the public and includes the names of the first mayor, city councillors, police officers, firefighters, firefighters and other city officials.
According to the Stevens Point Historical Society, a welcome sheet was erected on the site of the original park in the early 20th century. Reports on the history of the park and Stevens Point appeared in newspapers, magazines, books and other publications from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Curran House hosted a delegation of state officials who came to Stevens Point to examine the possibility of establishing the new state charter school.
Several blocks of downtown Stevens Point would have to be razed to the ground for development, and developers marketed them under the cautious guise of urban regeneration, even though they were flagged as strongly as many downtown cities nationwide. At the same time, professors at the University of Wisconsin system considered Stevens a test case. The University of Wisconsin-Stevenson said the decision to eliminate 13 majors was an opportunity to "be more nimble," but the cuts were not the only sign that Stevens was trying to position himself for a projected drop in enrollment.
The opposition rebelled again when Stevens Point applied in early 1989 for the annexation of the former site of the former US Army Corps machine room at the corner of Main and Main Streets. As we continued our struggle for land there, we were told it would be reintegrated into the city of Milwaukee.
A memorial stone has been erected on the campus of the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point to commemorate the Native Americans who were buried there many years ago. The memorial stones are said to be the first of their kind in the United States and recognize the burial sites of native people. A newly established School of Native American Studies at the university is working with the tribe, faculty and students to interpret the history and install permanent exhibits.